A Green and Ancient Light, Saga Press, 2016 (literary fantasy); named to Publishers Weekly‘s Best SF/Fantasy/Horror Books of 2016; selected as a Reading List Honor Book in fantasy by the American Library Association.
Arkham House, 1999 (dark fantasy); finalist for the International Horror Guild Award; reprinted by the SF Book Club, 2001; mass-market paperback edition from Ace Fantasy, 2005; audio book edition by Audible, 2013. See more details, reviews, images, and an excerpt at: http://www.fredericsdurbin.com/?page_id=1384.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012 (middle-grade fantasy) Visit the exclusive page for this book here: http://www.fredericsdurbin.com/?page_id=1393
- “The Fool Who Fished for a King,” Cricket Magazine, March-April 2000
- “The Place of Roots,” Fantasy & Science Fiction, February 2001; named as an Honorable Mention in The Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 15th Annual Collection, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
- “The Gift,” Mooreeffoc Magazine, Winter 2001/2002; reprinted by Cicada Magazine, March/April 2003
- “Star,” Cricket Magazine, February-March 2002; reprinted in October-November/December 2011
- “Murik and the Magic Sack,” Cricket Magazine, November 2002; reprinted in April 2017
- “The Guardian Tree,” part 2, Cricket Magazine, September 2003; commissioned for the magazine’s 30th anniversary issue
- “Ren and the Shadow Imps,” Cricket Magazine, October 2003-January 2004; reprinted September 2012-January 2013; reprinted in Red Squirrel (Chinese language), Xiaoduo Media, June-July 2015
- “The Enchanted Mountain,” Cricket Magazine, June-September 2005
- “A Tale of Silences,” Cicada Magazine, January/February 2006
- “The Bone Man” (novelette), Fantasy & Science Fiction, December 2007; named to the Locus Recommended Reading List for 2007; nominated for the 2008 Locus Awards
- “Under the Tower of Valk,” Ozment’s House of Twilight, Issue 7, Winter 2007; included in the flash-drive anthology Unconventional Fantasy, distributed to members of the World Fantasy Convention 2014.
- “The Star Shard” (novelette), Cricket Magazine, April 2008-April 2009
- “World’s End,” Black Gate #15, Spring 2011
- “The Girl Who Writes the Future,” Cricket Magazine, November/December 2014-May 2015 (This was the culmination of a project called Crowd-Sorcery for which I also wrote prompts on the magazine’s web site.)
- “The Man Who Stilled the Earth,” Fate Magazine, April 1998
- “Japan’s Living Mummy,” Fate Magazine, November 2000
- “The Great God Pan: Myth, Horror, and the Divine,” Fate Magazine, November-December 2010
- “Riddles: An Ancient Game,” Cricket Magazine, April 2011
- “Typewriter Mania and the Modern Writer,” Tor.com, June 6, 2016
- “Where the Witches Dwell,” Weird Tales Magazine #337, July 2005
- “A Request of the Minstrel,” Weird Tales Magazine #341, August-September 2006
For all inquiries concerning rights and permissions, please contact the JABberwocky Literary Agency.